Monday, July 28, 2008

From Steve Weitzman

Sent Friday, July 25
While trying to figure out how to post something on the blog and not having much luck, I noticed you did it for me the other day in posting the email I sent you. Thanks for that.

I've always done as much in my life as possible without using computers, even running two NY nightclubs at once, promoting 250 concerts a year. Which means I've got the computer skills of an 8-year old (but I still managed to get everything done somehow). I even still have the Royal manual (!) typewriter I used to write music articles for nearly 20 years before I stopped doing that sort of stuff to become a concert promoter. By the way, anyone can have my email address, since I know I didn't mention that to you before: steveweitzman10@hotmail.com.

I thought this accompanying photo for the blog, taken in the Fall of 1982 of me presenting a trophy to a then 23 year old Magic Johnson of the Lakers might be a fun one for people to see. The logical question is why in heck would I be giving Magic a trophy for anything, and the quick answer is that I invented the statistical rating system back then that the National Basketball Association still uses to rate players (it's now called the Schick Pivotal Player Award after they decided to sponsor it the following year). The Lakers arranged for me to give Magic that first trophy for winning it in '82, and since that was before they had Schick as the sponsor, I made the presentation in their locker room before a Nets game. The photographer's flash was a bit weak so the pics came out a little dark. For years, my mother had that photo above the TV in the living room and when guests would come over to their house, she'd point to it and say, "Those are my two sons." Funny woman. Our ace Potsdam High basketball star Bob Sharlow will probably enjoy the pic. That was definitely a fun day. Even a die-hard Celtic fan (and Laker-hater) like me got a kick out hanging out with Magic Johnson for a bit and giving him his trophy. He was very cool - and EXTREMELY pleased when I told him he beat out Larry Bird (his arch-rival) for the award.
Anyway, have a great weekend everybody and sorry I can't be there.
Best, Steve Weitzman

No comments: