Monday, July 21, 2008

From Jon Gillaspie '68

Hiya! I'm still living the dream here in London, a few minutes walk from the Thames. Sadly I won't make the reunion since I have a book to finish this summer (The Wind Ensemble Thematic Catalog - ho hum...) and the research to finish for Elgar: TheEarly Years.

I spent a large part of the 90s in the field in Europe working on 18th and 19th century wind bands, and the present book is the third in the series. As a result of the research I also started a classical music publishing company, Sarastro Music and, although not yet in the Big League, it's doing fine - and I'm enjoying reviving lots of music that should never have been forgotten. I don't record as much as I used to but still keep my hand in, as well as being an occasional extra in films (but, sadly, not in any of the Harry Potters!).

I don't get to see the two grandchildren as often as I'd like to since they live at the other end of the country, but we keep in touch by phone, e-mail and letters (remember those?).

Anyhow, have a great reunion!!! Maybe I'll see everyone at the 50th! Cheers...

No comments: